Episode 259 is all about Chingkankousaurus, a doable tyrannosauroid from japanese China identified solely from a shoulder blade.
We additionally interview Phoebe Wooden, a major scholar from Adelaide, South Australia. She received a number of awards for her Anchiornis huxleyi mannequin. Together with Younger Scientist of the 12 months 2019 and the Oliphant Trophy—a primary for a major college scholar.
Get our new ebook 50 Dinosaur Tales right here: http://bit.ly/50dinosaurtales
Large because of all our patrons! Your help means a lot to us and retains us going! In the event you’re a dinosaur fanatic, be a part of our rising neighborhood on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/iknowdino.
You possibly can hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on Apple Podcasts at:
On this episode, we focus on:
- Information from the ultimate day of talks and posters on the 2019 assembly of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology supply
- A big diversified choice of dinosaur microfossils from the Alaskan Kakanaut Formation present that dinosaurs lived within the arctic year-round
- After extra restoration work, an alternate Allosaurus holotype is able to be named
- Siats and Moros finds present that Allosauroids and Tyrannosauroids coexisted within the cretaceous
- We now have a superb progress sequence of over 20 Sinornithomimus people from China
- A coprolite “nugget” exhibits glorious preservation of a minimum of two feather varieties and certain a number of ticks
- Extra proof exhibits that dinosaur variety was very excessive up till the end-cretaceous extinction
- By evaluating LAGs in arm and leg bones, one other research exhibits that Maiasaura was quadrupedal its entire life
- A brand new Jurassic ankylosaur was present in Portugal
- Two new ceratopsians have been found in Grand Staircase Escalante Nationwide Monument
- A brand new “Tremendous matrix” of crocodilians locations some troublesome taxa in a cladogram
- An evaluation of Dimetrodon (not a dinosaur) and its family exhibits the wide selection of sizes that they got here in
- The Tate Geological Museum have discovered a few sauropod ft and a diplodocid cranium
- The Burke Museum in Washington has a brand new exhibit known as Fossils Uncovered supply
- A brand new animation exhibits how lengthy dinosaurs lived, by tracing our photo voltaic system’s motion by way of the Milky Method Galaxy supply
- Horse Archer Productions has a brand new net sequence, A Million Bones of Stone, the primary episode is about Laelaps supply
- Justice Smith and Daniella Pineda, who performed Franklin and Zia, in Fallen Kingdom will probably be again for Jurassic World 3 supply
The dinosaur of the day: Chingkankousaurus
- Theropod that lived within the Late Cretaceous in what’s now Shandong province in japanese China (Wangshi Group)
- Just one species: Chingkankousaurus fragilis
- Named for the village Chingkankou (Jingankou), close to the place it was discovered
- Described by Yang Zhongjian (a.okay.a. C.C. Younger) in 1958 from one scapula, which he mentioned was mainly like Allosaurus however smaller
- Some scientists thought the shoulder bone was a rib or a part of gastralia, however a 2013 research discovered that to be unlikely
- Dan Chure assigned the fossil to Coelurosauria in 2001, and some years later scientists refined that to a tyrannosauroid
There have been two Anchiornis specimens studied for his or her coloration patterns: one with orange head feathers and one with out.