Episode 371 is all about Probactrosaurus, a hadrosauroid that lived within the Late Cretaceous in what’s now Inside Mongolia, China.
We additionally interview David Levering, Camps Director on the Fort Hays State College’s Sternberg Museum of Pure Historical past and creator of the Sternberg Museum of Pure Historical past On-line. Take a look at our video of the digital museum at https://youtu.be/MCbdT3xOIBM
Huge due to all our patrons! Your assist means a lot to us and retains us going! For those who’re a dinosaur fanatic, be a part of our rising group on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/iknowdino.
You possibly can hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on Apple Podcasts at:
On this episode, we focus on:
- The primary toothless ceratosaur from South America, Berthasaura leopoldinae, was present in Brazil supply
- A brand new Deinonychus-sized raptor, Vectiraptor greeni, was discovered on the Isle of Wight supply
- Marvel’s Moon Lady and Satan Dinosaur animated collection has a brand new trailer supply
- A brand new picture from Jurassic World: Dominion exhibits Owen Grady taming a Parasaurolophus within the snow supply
The dinosaur of the day: Probactrosaurus
- Hadrosauroid that lived within the Late Cretaceous in what’s now Inside Mongolia, China (Dashuigou Formation)
- Appears like a typical hadrosaur, with a duckbill and hulking physique
- Medium-sized and gracile
- Estimated to be 18 ft (5.5 m) lengthy and weigh 1 tonne
- Had a slender snout, and elongated jaw
- Had tooth batteries
- No crest on the cranium
- Had lengthy, slender arms and fingers and a small thumb spike
- Most likely largely walked on 4 legs
- Fossils present in 1959 and 1960 throughout a Russian-Chinese language expedition
- Holotype is a partial skeleton with a cranium
- One other partial skeleton and fragments have been additionally discovered
- Described in 1966 by Anatoly Konstantinovich Rozhdestvensky
- Sort species is Probactrosaurus gobiensis
- Genus title means “earlier than Bactrosaurus”
- Genus named refers back to the speculation that Probactrosaurus was a direct ancestor of Bactrosaurus (scientists don’t suppose that anymore)
- Species title refers back to the Gobi desert
- Rozhdestvensky named a second species, Probactrosaurus alashanicus, primarily based on fragments, in 1966 primarily based on the again of a cranium
- Species title refers back to the Alxa League (on the western a part of Inside Mongolia)
- In 2002, David Norman revised Probactrosaurus. He mentioned the holotype of Probactrosaurus alashanicus was misplaced and that it was a synonym of Probactrosaurus gobiensis
- Lü Junchang named Probactrosaurus mazongshanensis in 1997, primarily based on fossils present in 1992 (a partial cranium and skeleton)
- Species title refers back to the Mazong Shan area
- Later it was formally described and renamed as Gongpoquansaurus
- Probactrosaurus could also be intently associated to Siamodon, an iguanodontian present in Thailand, however they’ve completely different numbers of tooth positions
It’s unlikely that dinosaurs had venom, however a few of them might have been poisonous.
This episode is delivered to you by our patrons. We simply launched a bonus episode protecting many extra paleontological discoveries for all of our patrons. Head to Patreon.com/iknowdino to get entry and assist us preserve making the present.
Inform us what you concentrate on our present in our 2021 12 months Finish Survey! We would like our present to be as satisfying as attainable, and your enter will assist us enhance. Head to bit.ly/ikdsurvey21 to go away us your suggestions.