I assume you landed on this text since you already like to snowshoe together with your canine in winter otherwise you need to begin doing it.
I’ve been snowshoeing with my canine for over 10 years and have traveled throughout Washington State to do it.
Should you’ve by no means carried out it earlier than, there are a number of causes to begin snowshoeing together with your canine.
Whereas canine usually are not allowed to attend these lessons and excursions, you possibly can go study the talents after which take your canine with you while you really feel assured sufficient to go by yourself.
Whether or not you’re searching for a canine pleasant snowshoe path close to Seattle, or you might be coming from one other space of the state, these are the locations value touring to snowshoe together with your canine.
The place Am I Allowed to Snowshoe with My Canine?
Opposite to well-liked perception, you possibly can’t simply discover some snow, strap on snowshoes, and take off together with your canine.
For instance, many snow parks, formally known as Sno-Parks, in Washington don’t enable canine.
Groomed cross nation ski trails usually don’t enable snowshoes or canine as a result of they will mess up the groomed floor.
You even have to think about avalanche hazard. Many summer time trails can turn out to be dying traps in winter.
Usually although, you and your canine are welcome:
- On any Forest Service logging roads*
- Ungroomed (for snowboarding) sno parks
- Summer season canine pleasant mountain climbing trails which can be accessible and secure within the winter**
* A variety of Forest Service roads turn out to be groomed and ungroomed snowmobile trails in winter. You and your canine can snowshoe right here however beware that some obtain a lot motorized visitors that it may be harmful, particularly on weekends. On the minimal, canine ought to all the time be saved on a leash the place snowmobiles are allowed.
** All the time examine avalanche situations earlier than you go. Taking, at a minimal, an avalanche consciousness coaching is very advised too.
Which Washington State Sno-Parks Permit Canines?
Some Washington State Sno-parks enable canine and a few don’t.
Canines ARE NOT allowed at these Sno-Parks:
- Hyak (Palouse to Cascades State Park Path)
- Erling Stordahl (Crystal Springs Sno-Park)
- Lake Easton State Park
- Cabin Creek north aspect of I-90!
Canines ARE allowed at these Washington Sno-Parks (from west to east):
- Asahel Curtis (Denny Creek)
- Gold Creek
- Easton Reload
- Blewett Go
- Pipe Creek
- Swauk Campground
- Elk Heights
- Salmon La Sac
Please bear in mind these essential guidelines should you take your canine to a Sno-Park.
- No canine or snowshoes on groomed tracks
- Don’t stroll on the groomed path
- Downhill skiers have the correct of method
- For security, your canine ought to be on leash
- Decide up and pack out your canine poop
For extra data, see Central Cascades Winter Recreation Council’s web page about canine at Sno-Parks.
Which Climbing Trails Can I Snowshoe With My Canine?
Most mountain climbing trails within the mountains flip right into a winter wonderland after late November or December.
Except the world is became a groomed Sno-Park, usually, canine are allowed on any of those trails.
Nonetheless, not all of them are appropriate for snowshoeing together with your canine.
Watch out for Security Dangers
In winter, the path situations can fluctuate extensively.
If you hike in the summertime, for the submit half, the path floor and dangers don’t change. However they do within the winter.
Most notably, the potential for avalanche poses a excessive threat on some trails when snow is current.
For instance, the Snow Lake on Snoqualmie Go, and Granite Mountain Lookout close to North Bend, cross a high-risk avalanche chute in winter and are finest averted by all however essentially the most skillful mountaineers.
Lesser dangers are encountering bushes and branches that fell throughout the path from the burden of snow and ice and collapsing snow bridges.
All the time familiarize your self with path situations earlier than you head out to snowshoe your favourite summer time mountain climbing path in winter.
What Are The Finest Canine Pleasant Snowshoe Trails in Washington?
What makes the most effective path can be particular person to you and your canine based mostly on, for instance:
- Bodily health (bear in mind, snowshoeing is tougher than strolling, particularly when breaking path)
- The place you reside
- Your information about avalanches and your tolerance for threat
- What sort of snowshoes you may have (ex. all-terrain or supposed for groomed trails)
- What sort of surroundings you get pleasure from
- Gold Creek Pond
- Franklin Falls
- Large 4 Ice Caves
- Lake Wenatchee State Park Snowshoe Loops (solely these trails)
- Salmon La Sac Campground
- Tumwater Pipeline Path
- Wenatchee Crest Snowshoe
- Swauk Forest Discovery Path Snowshoe
- Riverside State Park (Spokane) – Bowl and Pitcher Snowshoe
- Riser Lake Loop (Winthrop)
Some reasonable and troublesome canine pleasant snowshoe trails are:
- Artist Level Snowshoe
- Skyline Lake Snowshoe
- Kendall Lakes Peak Snowshoe
- Teanaway Butte
- Hex Mountain
- Cooper River
- Bumping Lake Ski and Snowshoe Trails
- Mount Tahoma Trails Excessive Hut (canine usually are not allowed contained in the hut)
- Tieton Pond Snowshoe (Yakima)
The outline for all of those might be discovered on the Washington Trails Affiliation (WTA) web site.
The outside enjoyable doesn’t should cease when the snow begins falling.
Snowshoeing is a good winter exercise for you and your canine and there are loads of locations in Washington the place you are able to do it together with your canine.
Sometimes, with the correct preparation, canine of any measurement can do it. Take a look at my suggestions for snowshoeing with a small canine.
There are many canine pleasant snowshoe trails near Seattle but additionally loads of alternatives additional outdoors of the town in order for you some solitude.
Simply decide one and go have enjoyable!